profile : willow designs


Sandra Payne of Willow Designs is a full time aged care worker, and a part time children’s jacket maker extraordinaire. It seems the two go hand in hand, Sandra runs her design ideas past her elderly residents, and the results are adorable – a range of bright as a button reversible raincoats that will not only keep little ones warm and dry, but are sure to brighten up the dreariest of Hobart days.

Do you have a day job, if so what is it? 
I work in aged care, have done so for some time. A very rewarding job and I run my ideas by my residents and value their input.

When did your business begin and why? 
I started my business two years ago -made a jacket for a friend’s daughter, Willow, and just kept making them.

Inspiration/design aesthetic? 
I find sewing very therapeutic. I have withdrawals if away from my machine for more than a day. I love the fabrics and watching them come together into a usable item.

Designers you admire? 
I like and admire our own local designers that pop up at markets like this one.

What is your favourite part of Tasmania? 
The East Coast. We lived for thirteen years at Orford. Our daughter went to Orford Primary School. It was like living at your shack all year round. Still miss the lay back life style.

What do you love about what you do...and any little gripes or niggles? 
I love creating things. Seeing the design coming together. My one gripe is getting excited about a jacket and in my enthusiasm cutting and sewing a panel of the jacket upside down. Yes I have done this more than once.

What can our lovely customers expect to see you exhibiting?
My jackets are fully reversible, made from the best quality 100% cotton fabric. I search for materials overseas so my jackets are unique and not mass produced. I am very proud of the quality of these jackets.

+ + + + + + +

Want to see who else will be at our November event? For more interviews with our exhibitors check out our look book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP