profile : georgie b design

A little bit of magic seems to infiltrate all of Georgie B’s design, we’re not talking about the white doves and top hat kind of magic, more like the fairytale and dreamy/nolstagic variety. Lucky for us Georgie has managed to bottle it all up in the form of cute, quirky illustrations that have been screen-printed onto organic linen cushion covers and ceramic surfaces perfect for hanging on the wall. Also, an adorable selection of cards, so you can spread the love… or the magic.

Do you have a day job, if so what is it? 
I am currently studying a bachelor of Design at the Whitehouse Institute in Melbourne. On the weekends and when I’m not studying I intern at Ink & Spindle textile studio which allows me to have access to a perfect printing set up and be surrounded by lots of creative, inspiring arty types. I teach swimming classes on Monday afternoons and work at Bed, Bath & Table on weekends sometimes.

When did your business begin and why? 
georgie b design started ten years ago and was born from my personal struggle with anorexia and bulimia. Drawing became an outlet, a way to express the expressionless and a very real incentive to pursue a healthier pathway. Now that I’m in a brighter place I am able to share my artwork and create something tactile from my illustrations.

Inspiration/design aesthetic? 
I love LOVE to look through picture books! Especially ones with fantasy, magical illustrations like Shirley Barber’s fairyland scenes. My aesthetic is whimsical, a bit quirky, but nothing too serious. 

Designers you admire? 
Ink & Spindle boutique Textiles, illustrators Shirley Barber and Grahame Base, Beci Orpin, Florence Broadhurt, Marimeko, Pip Studio, my cousins Nina & Elizabeth Barnett

What is your favourite part of Tasmania? 
Bay of Fires where our shack is, its magical.

What do you love about what you do...and any little gripes or niggles?
I love losing time to being creative. A whole morning might fly by and you done even realize because you’re so into a project. I like watching something grow from a idea, to a sketch, a drawing, then something tactile. The finished product is always worth it. Niggles: my shoulders always hurt from leaning over my desk! There is never enough time in day either!

What can our lovely customers expect to see you exhibiting? 
You will see a range of crazy, cute, quirky illustrations that have been scree-printed onto organic linen cushion covers and ceramic surfaces suitable to hang on the wall. A collection of designs have been printed onto gift cards.

+ + + + + + +

Want to see who else will be at our November event? For more interviews with our exhibitors check out our look book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP