profile : spoon savvy

Spoons…who would have thought they could be so cool. Particularly when they’re old and interesting and cleverly refashioned into rings. Pretty rings, quirky rings, and sometimes the odd pendant too! Angela Lowe collects all manner of cutlery, which she restores and beautifies until it becomes lovely sturdy jewellery. Spoon lovers (and just lovers of beautiful vintage things) everywhere rejoice!

Do you have a day job, if so what is it? 
I’m a student of Visual Art at UTAS where I’m currently exploring the mediums of sound, film and digital media. I also have a veggie patch, bake sourdough and enjoy diving, fishing and gleaning to feed my sweet little family. I consider the spoons my day job.

When did your business begin and why? 
Once upon a time I looked at the beautiful pattern engraved in the handle of a spoon. It was an old silver spoon – I thought it would make a beautiful silver ring. It did. I remember that spoon. I’ve since discovered that this is not an original idea, in fact spoon rings were originally made in 17th century England, pilfered from the drawers by servants and used as wedding rings. Starting ‘Spoon Savvy’ was a response to the need to earn an income while doing something I enjoy from an isolated corner of a peninsula on this beautiful island we live upon. I considered the skills I’d developed over the years through; making, designing, blogging, marketing, writing, living and studying. I decided that I had all of the ingredients to make a success of this, took the leap, and built my wings on the way down. 

Inspiration/design aesthetic? 
The undiscovered. The idea that when limited to a single medium (such as a spoon) the design possibilities are unlimited. I’m inspired by the stars, the seasons, the tides and all of the experiences that are presented to me through the people and the places I explore.

Designers you admire? 
David Keats, Tim Lowry , Pirates Dreaming, The Naughty Pony, Noni Howard, Natasa Milenovic, Gay Hawkes.

What is your favourite part of Tasmania? 
The undiscovered. I feel as though I could spend a lifetime exploring this beautiful Island, its coastlines, islands and waterways. I also favour the people here, there’s something special about Islanders.

What do you love about what you do...and any little gripes or niggles? 
I love the search for the rare spoon. A pattern that I haven’t discovered before, a piece of cutlery with a purpose or a history that you’d never expect would exist and the sharing these rare beauties and their stories with spoon ring lovers and discoverers. I love the joy that a simple object such as a spoon can bring to people, as they find a connection to their past through a spoon handle pattern; realise that ‘this ring’ was once a spoon; or share my designs with loved ones as thoughtful gifts or objects of affection.

What can our lovely customers expect to see you exhibiting? 
Your favourite things – spoon rings and, inspired seasonal designs – imagine an eclipse in a soup spoon hanging from your neck; a silver leaved teaspoon scoop dangling from your earlobe, a salt spoon ring for your salt of the earth.

+ + + + + + +

Want to see who else will be at our November event? For more interviews with our exhibitors check out our look book.

2 comments:

  1. great...post...!!! I really appreciate it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spoon savvy , I hear this david keats physically abuses little boys , Got it from the horses mouth. Respect that designer?

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP