profile : roadie

Masae Fukunaga turned her back on an 11 year career working in the high-pressure, high-stress environment of financial consulting, to embrace her creative side….we love brave people like that! She travelled around Japan with her husband and dogs, and launched her Roadie label, producing a covetable range of leather goods using upcycled/and reclaimedmaterials from around Tasmania. Her range blends functionality, beauty and practicality, and we’re pleased as punch that Masae discovered her true calling!

Do you have a day job, if so what is it? 
I gave up a “serious” day job in corporate business consulting to focus on my passion for creativity. I now spend most of my time making leather goods at home, inspired by the beautiful vistas of seaside southern Tasmania. I also have ambitions to share my love of nature and Tasmania’s amazing environment with Japanese travellers as a tour guide helping them discover the wonders of this incredible part of the world.

Inspiration/design aesthetic? 
My design aesthetic is simple and guided by three core principles: 1. Durability: I use leather because it lasts - and as such represents an opportunity to move away from our society’s addiction to disposables and plastics. 2. Functionality: The products I make are useful. They are simple, yet practical and minimise waste -I use recycled and always make something useful from even the smallest scraps. 3. Fun: It’s better than boring, isn’t it? Life’s too short not to enjoy it!

Designers you admire? 
I admire anyone who breathes their own unique individual creative spirit into life to make the world a better place. People who share their own living philosophy and rise to the challenge of new things. For me, these elements are also fundamental to good design.

What is your favourite part of Tasmania? 
As beautiful as Tasmania’s natural environment is, I have been helped by so many wonderful people since arriving here that I honestly have to say that my favourite part of Tasmania is the people. I’m not exaggerating! They’re incredible!

What do you love about what you do...and any little gripes or niggles? 
I love making unique and functional goods. I find I can make whatever I want, whenever I want and as such I enjoy every moment -designing, drawing, cutting and stitching.

What can our lovely customers expect to see you exhibiting? 
I hope people enjoy my creations, for example, holster bags, shoulder bags, belt bags, pouches, wallets, coin cases, i Phone cases, key rings, tobacco pouches, pen cases and so on.

+ + + + + + +

Want to see who else will be at our November event? For more interviews with our exhibitors check out our look book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP