profile : unio

Anne Langman spent five years immersed in the gemstone filled alleyways of the local markets in Cairo, Egypt. …lucky Anne! And lucky for us she has poured this experience into her vibrant, bold and unexpected collection of jewels, which she exhibits under her UNIO label. An unexpected contrasting of various components means that Anne’s designs are always fresh and innovative. Colourful Brazilian Palm nuts, chunky gemstones, pearls and sterling silver all come together in a spot on and extremely distinctive fashion.

Do you have a day job, if so what is it? 
I work as a Project Manager for the state government.

When did your business begin and why? 
I started making jewellery in 2004 after my first trip to Egypt, where I saw so many exquisite gemstones and pearls. This inspired me to learn the basics of jewellery making and from there it took off. Now I can’t imagine a day without it.

Inspiration/design aesthetic? 
Designing, for me, is about mixing different colours, materials and finishes to create something that will be treasured forever, and that embodies true value. A matt finish with luminescent, small gemstones with large, wood with pearls, etc.


Designers you admire? 
Marni and Ginger & Smart because they are always ahead of the design game, Dinosaur Designs for their brilliant use of colour and form, and Carla Zampatti because her evening gowns are works of art and I don’t think anyone does professional women’s wear as well.

What is your favourite part of Tasmania? 
Salamanca. There’s never a dull moment.

What do you love about what you do...and any little gripes or niggles? 
I love the fact that it is so different to my day job and that the two use completely different skills. I feel very lucky as I have the best of both worlds, but I do wish there were more hours in the day.


What can our lovely customers expect to see you exhibiting? 
I am still having a love affair with Brazilian palm nuts with their vibrant colours and beautiful finish, so there will be plenty at the market. And of course I never tire of gorgeous, quality pearls so I’ll have lots of designs incorporating them.

+ + + + + + +

Want to see who else will be at our September event? For more interviews with our exhibitors check out our look book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP