profile : tea and honey design

Tea and Honey Design burst onto the scene after a solo exhibition in August 2011. And we mean burst…people adore Kate Piekutowski’s artwork, and are drawn to the warmth and colour in her works, along with her glaringly obvious talent and sincerity for what she does. Her nostalgic etchings are based largely on her Polish heritage and her work often has an intriguing essence of self-portraiture. Kate also creates a small line of lovely old fashioned jewellery, with a bit of a young fresh modern twist…perfect really.

Do you have a day job, if so what is it? 
I have just finished my Bachelor of Fine Arts with a major in printmaking and am now studying Masters of Fine Arts. As well as doing the market I am having solo exhibitions and displaying my work in Inka Gallery in Salamanca.

When did your business begin and why? 
Tea and Honey Design is only a recent business as the artwork is new and I basically went from college to University. The works really kicked off at my Solo Exhibition in August 2011 where I had a huge interest from the public. Since then, I have been trying to exhibit and show my work as much as possible.

Inspiration/design aesthetic? 
My work is really based around my European heritage and has developed around the disconnection I have with my Polish heritage. I am fascinated with how we develop connections to certain places and the ideas behind what makes a ‘home’. These works, particularly my printmaking is dealing with these subjects and also with self-portraiture and fashion. There is also a certain element of design and structure about my work where I often rework my designs on Photoshop before creating them into prints.

Designers you admire? 
As a printmaker I am more attracted to printmaking artists such as Jazmina Cininas who is a Melbourne-based artist. I love artists that are using their heritage and background to conceptualize their works. Artists such as Christian Boltanski excite me for their interest in the darkness of European history.

What is your favourite part of Tasmania? 
I think that Tasmania is a very beautiful place and it is difficult to pinpoint which place is the best! However I would have to say I love Salamanca Place as it reminds me of Krakow in Poland and all the beautiful buildings which are individually painted and decorated. I also love Bay of Fires as it makes me feel at home.

What do you love about what you do...and any little gripes or niggles? 
I love about my work that it is so personal yet people can feel connected to it on so many different levels. I think that the works often reminds people of home and Tasmania, yet they are predominantly dealing with my relationship to Poland. I love how although I feel part of two worlds, they sort of meld into one another when I express my ideas onto paper.


What can our lovely customers expect to see you exhibiting? 
When people come to the market I think they can expect to see from Tea and Honey Design a range of etchings as well as my new line of jewellery made out of Tibetan silver and handmade beads from polymer clay. I am excited to hear what people think about the works as I think that the luscious reds and nostalgic colours in the works will definitely attract the eye.

+ + + + + + +

Want to see who else will be at our September event? For more interviews with our exhibitors check out our look book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP