profile : sashiko design

It’s so nice to see handbags that are made out of something unique…and beautiful. Kiyomi Reid under the Sashiko Design label, designs and creates a selection of Japanese inspired handbags and accessories. Components include Japanese vintage Kimono fabric, cotton, denim and leather…and a good dose of intuitive design and high quality manufacture also! Kiyomi produces new designs every 6 months, from especially selected materials she sources from both Australia and Japan.

Do you have a day job, if so what is it? 
I run a studio at 102 Goulburn Street, Hobart, where I handcraft my unique handbags and accessories.

When did your business begin and why? 
I started creating my product in 2001 as I felt there was a need for high quality handcrafted bags and accessories in Tasmania.

Inspiration/design aesthetic? 
I create new designs every six months and find my inspiration from current fashion needs and the change in available fabrics which I source both locally and from Japan.

Designers you admire? 
45 RPM Fashion House in Japan and Sucana Gosic who handmakes womens’ fashions in Melbourne.

What is your favourite part of Tasmania? 
Hobart and Richmond. I love the colours of the Tasmanian Bush.

What do you love about what you do...and any little gripes or niggles? 
I enjoy the creativity and the joy I see in people who appreciate and admire the quality and uniqueness of my product. It is disappointing when somebody copies my designs and makes an inferior product.

What can our lovely customers expect to see you exhibiting? 
I will be exhibiting new bags on each occasion, together with a range of different accessories.

+ + + + + + +

Want to see who else will be at our September event? For more interviews with our exhibitors check out our look book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP