profile : emily snadden design

Emily Snadden is a contemporary jeweller and a brilliant one at that. She is award winning (more than once!) and her work reflects a love and response to the flora and architecture of Tasmania. This is contrasted with a sleek, clean geometric style of manufacture and means that her pieces are both polished but slightly organic…very beautiful. Statemental cuffs, delicate layered flower rings and pretty brushed silver seedpod earrings are some of our picks from the range, but truth be told, it’s all incredible.

Do you have a day job, if so what is it? 
Emily Snadden Design is my day job – and I love it.

When did your business begin and why? 
I graduated as fully qualified Jeweller in 2006 and have worked within the Jewellery industry for over 11 years. I held the position of onsite Jeweller for a local firm for three years but recently made the decision to start building my own business and as a result have ventured out on my own to follow my dream!

Inspiration/design aesthetic? 
I am heavily inspired by the local environment – particularly our native Tasmanian flora and the local architecture and built up environment. My work draws inspiration from many resources but generally is founded on contrasts between organic form and clean lines.

Designers you admire? 
My work is inspired by a vast array of influences and artists – however some of my favourite designers include Catherine Truman, Claes Oldenburg and Carlier Makigawa… but there are so many favourites!

What is your favourite part of Tasmania? 
One of my favourite places is the Tasmanian highlands – this is where I do most of my designing and where a lot of my design ideas become resolved. I love wandering through the bush photographing and collecting specimens with which to incorporate into my designs.

What do you love about what you do...and any little gripes or niggles? 
I love everything about my trade – from the design process to manufacture and finally delivery to the happy client. It is extremely rewarding to have created something from the soul for a client and to be rewarded by their pleasure when it is finished and it becomes theirs - to have hand created something which then becomes a part of someone’s family history is a great honour.

What can our lovely customers expect to see you exhibiting? 
Handmade, unique contemporary Jewellery – designed in response to the local environment and made with love.

+ + + + + + +

Want to see who else will be at our September event? For more interviews with our exhibitors check out our look book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP