profile : sunday's child

If you have a fancy for children’s clothing that is hand produced out of beautiful fabrics and dare we say it…completely age appropriate designs…this is the brand for you. Sonia Skegg from Sunday’s Child creates adorable clothing for little ones that brings back a nostalgia for an old fashioned type of childhood. Our favourite designs are the ones with fun oversized polka dots, just so sweet!

Do you have a day job, if so what is it? 
Two days a week I am a “Faerie Helper” at The Faerie Shop in Salamanca. I’m also training to be a certified Jazzercise Instructor, so I’ll soon be teaching Jazzercise to both adults and children which I’m really looking forward to.

When did your business begin and why? 
Sunday’s Child was established as a creative outlet whilst juggling a busy life as a wife & mother. I have 2 gorgeous daughters, Emma (8) and Sophie (5), who are the inspiration behind the name “Sunday’s Child” – they were both born on a Sunday! Drawing on my love of sewing and craft, the business was born in August 2009 with the desire to create beautiful, stylish pieces of children’s clothing & accessories. I am a perfectionist and every item is hand produced in my home studio with much love and attention to detail.

Inspiration/design aesthetic? 
I take my inspiration from many areas but mostly from the beautiful fabrics I find. I particularly love the colours and designs of the Japanese Echino range of fabrics. The quality is superb and I love the linen/cotton blends. I also have a thing for spots/dots so quite a few of my fabrics are “spotty” in nature. Once I see a fabric I then start to imagine what I can create with it and go from there.

Designers you admire? 
Being a mother myself, I have so much admiration for the many talented and creative mothers out there who combine their designing, sewing, crafting skills with their various family, work, and life commitments. It can be hard at times, but I think for the most part we do it because we love it and it’s that bit of “me time” we all need to keep us sane.

What is your favourite part of Tasmania? 
I’ve lived in Tasmania since 1990 when my family moved here from Sydney. We are so lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the world. I love that we can live in suburbia yet be 10 minutes away from the beach, mountains, or rain forest. I love that we can hop on a plane and fly to Melbourne for a “shopping fix”. I love that Hobart is a city, yet feels more like a big country town. I am excited to be a part of the many talented designers, artists, and crafts people Tasmania has to offer.

What do you love about what you do...and any little gripes or niggles? 
I love finding beautiful fabrics and making them into something I know will be worn and enjoyed. It’s lovely to receive comments from customers telling me how much their child loves their dress or tee - especially when it’s given as a gift.

What can our lovely customers expect to see you exhibiting? 
I will have my full range of products available at the market - from peasant dresses, reversible crossover pinafore tops, applique tees, singlets & onesies, to reversible bibs, fabric covered button hair accessories and fabric knotty necklaces. All meticulously hand made in quality fabrics and gorgeous colour combinations.

+ + + + + + +

Want to see who else will be at our September event? For more interviews with our exhibitors check out our look book.

1 comment:

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP