profile : jenny mills jewellery

Jenny Mills Jewellery features beautifully classic designs, quality ingredients and just the right amount of bling! Her jewels are precious, but just a little unexpected. We like how she creates on trend products but definitely not of the mass produced variety…these ones are special, just like the lovely lady who creates them.

Do you have a day job, if so what is it? 
Yes… I am a nurse. I work in Palliative Care. I can probably blame my “day job” (which happens to be at night) for my attitude to life and to my jewellery design. No one really needs jewellery… yet it makes us feel loved, fits when nothing else will, marks an occasion and brings back memories. When you work in Palliative Care, you tend to live a little more in the moment, don’t fuss as much about things that don’t matter, and really respect the strength, resolve and acceptance that is possible to achieve! I love both my “jobs” !


When did your business begin and why?
I made my very first piece in July 2006. I was just after unique and fabulous gift ideas for my nieces then… but even those basic and very naive early pieces, made me excited about the potential of jewellery design! Oh… and it was the very best excuse to shop for sparkly and precious bits and pieces!

Inspiration/design aesthetic? 
I start very often with a component that makes me excited and then it works it’s way around in my brain until it becomes a part of a greater piece. Often it’s like a challenge – a clasp for instance which prefers to be the focal piece, or even an unusual gem that needs some care and innovation to be at it’s best. Aesthetically though I am a little in the moment. I may have been inspired by a photo or a beach scene, or even by a beautiful bit of fashion design. But even more than texture and dimension, I am inspired by colour and light. I like to be a little unexpected, but comfortable.

Designers you admire? 
I was influenced very early on by a couple of established designers Brenda Schweder, who now works in steel and is very innovative and exciting… her pieces are quite strong and powerful… and Barbara Becker Simon, who made the most beautiful (and expensive) glass beads at that time! I bought some of those beads in the most remarkable colours … and I still have them today! I haven’t made them up! I literally use them for inspiration… I hold them and look at them often. I am interested in the fact that all jewellery designers have a sort of signature… you can pick their pieces in a line up!

What is your favourite part of Tasmania? 
I LOVE Tasmania! I love to travel, to visit places that have history and new experiences and cultures and people who don’t speak English! It’s that moment though when you get off the plane at the exposed and tiny Hobart airport, with the fresh clean air and the no fuss attitude and the sniffer dog to greet you!

What do you love about what you do...and any little gripes or niggles? 
I love the excuse to play with beautiful gems and components and the response from a happy customer. I also really love being “involved” in a special event – especially weddings. My biggest gripe is the abundance of mass produced and copied designs available. If it is too cheap someone has been exploited in the making…don’t start me with this!


What can our lovely customers expect to see you exhibiting? 
To honour our summer, I will be bringing a lot of turquoise, yellow and red to the market, used with sterling silver and leather and fabulous vintage fabrics.

 + + + + + + +

 Missed our February event? For more interviews with our exhibitors check out our look book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP