profile : phat flats



Phat Flats really are phat….and joyful and fun and as bright as a button too. Hobart graphic designer and talented illustrator Cathy McAuliffe produces a range of greeting cards, gift wrap, art prints and gift tags that always hit the proverbial nail on the head. The best thing about her cards (in our humble opinion anyway,) is that her range seems to provide the appropriate card for every occasion, or person… best friend, great grandfather, the weird neighbor down the street…fun, quirky and individual cards for everyone.

Do you have a day job, if so what is it? 
I am a graphic designer, living in lovely Hobart with my two kids and hubby. In the time I don’t spend at the park or on the beach doing kid’s stuff, I work from the home office doing a mix of my design business, Cathy McAuliffe Design and my cards business, Phat Flats. The graphic design is really my day job but because I get to create illustrations for clients and love incorporating these into design and branding, it really doesn’t feel like a ‘day job’.


When did your business begin and why? 
Creating graphic design and illustrations for clients and business is endless fun but I am always responding to a brief, design considerations, limitations, budgets and even just personal taste and opinion! I wanted to create a creative outlet for my artwork where I got to work on things that interest me, without having to run it past anyone. When the cards are printed though, I love getting feedback and responses to the work from customers and store owners. That’s why I love being involved in The Market, especially when people are excited by a new range of designs.

Inspiration/design aesthetic? 
Phat Flats imagery is inspired by old advertising posters, the graphic patterns of Dwell Studio and Marimekko, the wobbly lines of Julia Rothman, the items and objects in everyday life and the beautiful surrounds of Hobart, Tasmania!

Designers you admire? 
This changes all the time, but the well-worn favourite designers include Scandinavian graphic influences of Olle Eksell, Alexander Girard and Draw Pilgram. Retro stuff and nice linework by Kilowatt Kat, House Industries and Evan Hecox. Architecture and furniture by Arthur Erikson, Charles and Ray Eames, Enzo Mari and George Nelson. Beautiful architectural magazines are always around our house (architect husband) with favourites of Monument and Dwell. I love to curl up with the house mags such as Real Living! There’s always a massive list of blogs featuring lovely eye candy stacked up in my ‘reading list’, plus favourite online magazines including BIG and LMNOP. Inspiration for making kid stuff usually starts with these two magazines and a personal favourite, Made By Joel.


What do you love about what you do...and any little gripes or niggles? 
Creating art prints has been a super exciting part of the business. I have also loved learning more about the website and how I can add some interesting one-off goodies – watch this space! One thing I am not so good at getting in to see my local store people to show them new ranges or to restock their current cards!

What can our lovely customers expect to see you exhibiting? 
Well, this year I will be concentrating on developing gorgeous pick-up gifts. You can also buy lovely gift boxes of Phat Flats cards, plus a new range of small gift tags. There will be a few surprises too as I have some new ideas I would like to test!

+ + + + + + +

Want to see who else will be at our July event? For more interviews with our exhibitors check out our look book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP