stall holder profile:
Rachel Tribout from Captain Blueberry, illustrator

When and why did your business begin?
Captain Blueberry was born in a boat upon the high seas. I was giving my husband some stern words about the rigging of the sail while eating a blueberry muffin and dropping crumbs down my front. In 2009 I dropped anchor in the Derwent and set ashore my easel, my computer and my graphic tablet. Since then I’ve been building a collection of illustrations and paintings, and more recently soft toys, beanies and other furry things. I also do some graphic design work. My dream is to illustrate children’s books and I am in the process of building a portfolio.

What are your creations inspired by?
Lots of things: nature is a big one, also dreams and fantasies, the joy of childhood and environmental issues. There are also lots of talented artists out there that are very inspiring to me.

My monsters come from a different perspective; I started it as a fun way to express my creativity and an alternative to the structure and discipline I am trying to put into illustration. Since then I have realized the true mission: waking up people’s inner child!

What’s your favourite thing about what you do?
I love that I can turn my ideas and feelings into the material world and share them with people. It is also very satisfying for me to be in the creative process. And it gives me the freedom to manage my time the way I want and live in pyjamas.

Favourite colours/materials to work with?
It varies; I love playing with colours, especially opposite colours. I have my periods: at the moment I like warm pastel colours, light pink and brown, but in a month I might be obsessed with blue. I go with the flow! I work my illustrations mainly using a graphic tablet to paint directly using photoshop, it is like painting but with what feels like more freedom and possibilities. I still like to use acrylic paints too. With my monsters, I love faux fur…. It gives them a unique look, they are so funny and cute; I also love felt and found fabrics.

What can customers coming to the market expect to see at your stall?
Light and fun things, lots of colors, a journey back into your inner child! You will find fury soft monsters ready to be adopted, prints of my illustrations, monster head helmets, beanies, and the captain herself.

Favourite piece you make?
I think I have the most fun sewing the beanies, they are every time a surprise, I laugh a lot on my own in the studio making them and the neighbours think I am mad. It’s so delightful to see them on people’s heads!

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP