profile : jemma clements handblown glass

Jemma Clements brings a distinctively fresh style to the world of glass blowing. Trained under renowned glass artist, and father, Richard Clements, Jemma has embarked on a career which has seen her selling her intricately handcrafted pieces interstate and internationally. Her products include a bright colourful range of jewellery, bespoke perfume bottles and gorgeous decorations. All with Jemma’s strong original sense of style, focusing on spontaneity, light and colour.

Do you have a day job, if so what is it? 
I was working full time as a glass artist but since the birth of my two daughters, I am currently working part-time.

When did your business begin and why? 
Surrounded by the natural beauty of the Huon Valley, I grew up in a family that was passionate about glass. I always knew I wanted to pursue a career in glass so in 1995 I embarked upon an apprenticeship with my father, Richard Clements. In the beginning I focussed primarily on perfume bottles, selling both interstate and internationally. After many years I discovered bead making and was instantly hooked! Pursuing bead making enables me to combine my love of fashion with my work. I spent every Saturday of my childhood at Salamanca Market “helping” behind the stall. It was a natural progression for me to have my own market stalls. I love the whole process from making to selling and interacting with customers.

Inspiration/design aesthetic? 
As mentioned I was initially inspired by my family’s love of glass. I feel fortunate to have had a trade as well as a creative passion passed down to me. My father and I share a workshop in Franklin and he inspires me always. We both influence each other’s work. I also have my own workshop at home now, which is great as it gives me more time to tinker on my work. I endeavor to have a strong, original sense of style. I want my work to be a celebration of the medium.

Designers you admire? 
Tasmania is overflowing with talented artisans. While there are many excellent designers interstate, I think it is great to celebrate Tasmania’s exceptional local designers. I admire Richard Clements, Carmen Blythe, Natalie Holtsbaum, Emily Snadden, My Mother Mabel, Little Lari, Roger Webb and Alex + Marion Ceramics…I could go on and on! I love anything Japanese, especially Japanese hand made beads. The skill and their attention to detail are phenomenal.

What is your favourite part of Tasmania? 
I just adore Tasmania now, when I was younger I took it for granted. We are blessed with beautiful beaches, amazing wilderness and an extraordinary way of life. My favourite part of Tasmania now would have to be MONA. I love everything about it; the building, the art and the artefacts, the food and wine, everything. It is world class and out in Berridale…Amazing!!

What do you love about what you do...and any little gripes or niggles? 
Being self-employed is wonderful, although not being paid for sick days is quite upsetting! When I am feeling uninspired it can be difficult to motivate myself. That is probably one of the more challenging aspects of being self-employed.

What can our lovely customers expect to see you exhibiting? 
A wide variety of my work including a full range of my bight, colourful studs, sterling silver and hand blown bead necklaces and perfume bottles.

+ + + + + + +

Want to see who else will be at our July event? For more interviews with our exhibitors check out our look book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP