profile : arna sweeney

An environmental consciousness and interest in design featuring Australian flora and fauna led Arna Sweeney to the discovery of several independent textile designers. This selection of high quality materials and components featuring unique hand screen printed, ethically produced and sustainable fabrics such as organic cotton, linen and hemp, translates into a gorgeous collection of bags, purses, and home wares. All products are completely handmade in Arna’s Launceston studio, guaranteeing individuality and some lovely one off designs.

Do you have a day job, if so what is it?
Firstly I’m a mother to my 14 year old daughter. My husband and I also have a club in Launceston, PYCSAM Health & Fitness. I’m pretty much behind the scenes these days, helping out at times with staff training and act as mentor to our club manager.

When did your business begin and why? 
My mother sewed and I grew up with a sewing machine often out on the dining table, so it seemed like a natural thing for me. I’ve always loved to sew and know I’m a much happier, fulfilled person when I’m creating. During a three year sabbatical to the Rocky Mountains in Colorado, USA my love for sewing was rekindled during the long snowy winters. After my return to Tasmania in 2008 my first bags and purses were created. From a great response from family, friends and the public I started supplying a few local stores supporting the hand made revolution including Cocoon and The Mill. Late last year I expanded and launched my online store.


Inspiration/design aesthetic? 
Simplicity of style and an almost extreme plainness is the core of my inspiration. I’ve always drawn inspiration from nature and in particular the raw Australian landscape and our unique flora and fauna. Following this interest and an environmental consciousness led to the discovery of several independent textile designers. Each of my products combines high quality materials and components featuring unique hand screen printed, ethically produced and sustainable fabrics such as organic cotton, linen and hemp.

Designers you admire? 
I absolutely adore the work of designer and artist Julie Paterson, from Cloth. Another favourite is Stewart Russell who heads up Spacecraft, and his team of designer/makers hand screen printing onto any surface that attracts their attention such as fabric, concrete, wood, paper and glass. Lara Cameron and Tegan Rose, owners and designers of Ink & Spindle are two girls I admire too.

What do you love about what you do...and any little gripes or niggles? 
I love the search for beautiful textiles and being surrounded by them in my studio, sometimes hard to part with! I love the process of making that fabric come alive into a creation, that other people can enjoy. I simply love sewing – does wonders for the mind and soul!

What can our lovely customers expect to see you exhibiting? 
I’m always on the lookout for new textiles and have some beautiful new colourways and designs to create into gorgeous homewares and accessories. I’m currently working on some new designs and hope to bring those to the market too.

+ + + + + + +

Missed our July event? For more interviews with our exhibitors check out our look book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP