stall holder profile:
Edwina Morris from Little Snoring


It’s no secret that Holly and I have been slightly obsessed for some time now, with the ridiculously adorable ‘pocket pandas’ from the lovely label Little Snoring...The talented Edwina Morris will be bringing these + many more handmade delights for a visit to our May Market. Little Snoring has a refreshing and engaging simplicity in its approach to designs for little people, and her products are beautifully (and sturdily!) made . Do come along next Sunday, and join in the panda parade!



When and why did your business begin?
I don’t really think of it as a business, more of a therapeutic necessity! But I suppose I’ve been beginning for the past few years. The general theme for the business is creating inspirational pieces for children but there is a lot of cross-over appeal and I find myself working on things that generally make homes more colourful and comfortable for families. The collection has grown like topsy and includes Pocket Pandas, French Poodle Toys, Patchwork Pillows, Glass Bird necklaces, Eiffel Towers, Mermaids, Babushka’s and Chubby Faced pendants. I have also just added some Gumball Necklaces and Headbands and soft pillow regalia with hand printed Union Jack Cushions. I like to make simple jewellery for children that is a bit special, but not too precious, that can be a gift from Mum or an Aunt but is still age-appropriate and fun.

What are your creations inspired by?
The era of the 1930’s. Childhood seemed simpler then. Toys were handmade. Clothing had a charm. Life wasn’t rosy, but I like its simplicity. It’s not that I want to turn back the clock, but I think kids today still respond the simple and authentic objects and toys. I think we all respond strongly to something when we know where it came from and who made it or grew it.

What's the best thing about what you do?
I really like it when children walk off with a Panda or a Poodle and take it into their lives and have a relationship with it. Sometimes I get to hear stories about where they go or what they do... I know of 2 Pandas that get tucked into pyjama pockets every night before bed, and sometimes I catch a sighting posted on blogs with them tucked under little quilts in a dollhouse somewhere.

Favourite colours/materials to work with?
I mostly sew using American quilting cottons because of their quality and variety. I like glass because of its ability to hold and reflect light. I’d say I use colour fearlessly and my favourites at the moment are turquoise, jade, cherry red, Rajasthani pink and inky navy blue.

What can customers coming to the market expect to see at your stall?
I’ll be bringing some new Union Jack pillows, which are hand-printed and ‘antiqued’. I am really loving them because the symbol is so striking and it appeals to my inner ancestor (my father’s family is from Scotland and my Mum is English and the Union Jack is a combination of the Cross of St Andrew and the Cross of St George). They are also being featured in the upcoming issue of Studio Bambini due for release in early May 2010. If you want a sneak peek of the lastest collection head here

Favourite piece you make?
That’s tricky. I really enjoy making the Pocket Pandas and French Poodles. I never really know what character they’ll have until the last stitch. Their expression almost always surprise and amuse me. But I would have to say it is a lot of fun to make is the patchwork cushions, which I make in editions. It is both challenging and a lot of fun choosing colours, patterns and fabric palettes and I really enjoy it when they come together.


1 comment:

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP