profile : lumbini house


Christine Scott, besides being the Art Curator of The Henry Jones Art Hotel in Hobart, is also a printmaker of considerable talent. Not only does she make wonderful prints, but her paper-based work extends to a jewellery line, which is delicate, wearable and different, in a really good way! Exhibiting under the Lumbini House label, Christine’s products are often inspired by her travels, making them utterly intriguing and nicely varied.

Do you have a day job, if so what is it?
I am the Art Curator The Henry Jones Art Hotel in Hobart.

When did your business begin and why? 
It began as an ancillary practice to my printmaking. There were so many prints from proofing that were left over after doing an edition, so I started reworking them into other small paper based things that I could give away to my friends as gifts or use myself at home. I also have had some serious back issues, which forced me to reduce the scale of my printmaking. This led me to where I am now, focusing on print and paper based jewellery.



Inspiration/design aesthetic? 
Travel is one of the most important factors in my art practice. I seem to gain most inspiration from having new visual information lodged in my brain after I go somewhere new. My travel photos are like a vault of images, which I can refer to when having a lull in ideas. I look at many things; art exhibitions, spaces, shops, people, and have a keen interest in fashion photography and styling, fabrics, especially pre-80’s. My prints mainly evolve from Japanese art and aesthetics. I love how they do full-on color, and then full-on nothingness. Local makers and designers are also very inspiring in that they remind me that it is important to do what you are naturally good at, then all else will follow.

Designers you admire? 
I like viewing the work of many global designers, most whom I stumble across while online. But I love following the growth and success of our local designers. And that is across furniture, jewelry, fashion and graphic design. There are some who are very astute at marketing, promotion and running their business while still maintaining their creative drive. That is something I am always seriously lacking!

What is your favourite part of Tasmania? 
Hobart. Home. The Mountain and her sunsets. Sullivans Cove, looking seaward.

What do you love about what you do...and any little gripes or niggles? 
Having to wait until I have a creative urge to start making. It never seems to work for me if I am not in the mood. Having a day job really drains out my energy and I often get in a rut worrying about not making. Mind you, as soon as I step inside my teensy studio I start to feel better.


What can our lovely customers expect to see you exhibiting? 
I am currently extending my printed jewelry range into earrings and other items to complement the necklaces. The prototypes my friends have been wearing are proving popular, so time to expand.

+ + + + + + +

Missed our February event? For more interviews with our exhibitors check out our look book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP