profile : dick & dora

When we think of Dick & Dora we think of joyful and oversized decorations, a clever and intuitive collection of statement brooches and necklaces and an expanding range of wares in spot on colours and designs. This year the label will see an exciting new direction under its brand new owner and all round stylish lady Mel French. Keep your eyes peeled for some lovely new Dick & Dora home wares, we can’t wait!

Do you have a day job, if so what is it? 
This year sees me taking on my new role of Dora full time. I have worked as a photographer, visual merchandiser, in retail and event stylist, all whilst doing the markets on the side. This is the first time I have taken the leap to full time maker. Harriet and Georgina (former directors) warned me D&D would take over every nook and cranny in my house and then some – they weren’t wrong!

When did your business begin and why? 
Buying D&D in January was an exciting opportunity for me to design and make full time. Since 2007 I have been a regular at Tassie markets and wholesaling with my old business my paperdoll. This year brings a new challenge in continuing Harriet and Georgina’s hard work and a chance to play with designs and new 3D printing technology-very exciting.


Inspiration/design aesthetic? 
I find inspiration in many of my favourite things- childhood memories of books and games, industrial design, buildings, textures, old textiles. I love farm sheds in paddocks that are nearly falling down. My grandmother’s old kitchen utensils and smudged hand written recipe books. Frankly anything well loved - the more beat up and weathered the better. Quite keen on constellation charts, old world globes and aerial photography too. The MONA building is incredibly inspiring. Other times inspiration can strike at the unlikeliest moment.

Designers you admire? 
Nonda Katsalidis who designed the Mona building. It is awe inspiring.

What is your favourite part of Tasmania? 
I love the white sandy beaches on the east coast on a wild and windy winters day and I love the rich red soil of the NW coast that stains your shoes.

What do you love about what you do...and any little gripes or niggles? 
I love being able to ‘make’ everyday. I could be making balaclavas and I’d be happy. I love slight craziness of market days but maybe not the early starts.


What can our lovely customers expect to see you exhibiting? 
Designs that make them smile. A touch of whimsy and nostalgia. Must have homewares. Just because. 

+ + + + + + +

 Missed our February event? For more interviews with our exhibitors check out our look book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP